Best Practices in Aquatic Resources Permitting – Rocks Bio September AEP Presentation
Shanti Santulli, RBC’s lead regulatory specialist, presented on aquatic resource permitting at the September San Diego Association of Environmental Professionals (AEP) meeting. Over 100 local consultants and agency representatives were in attendance…apparently people love permitting talk, who knew?! Kyle Dahl, Team Lead of the Carlsbad Field Office of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) Regulatory Division, and Alan Monji, Environmental Scientist with the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board, joined as panelists and provided clarifications and additional insight during the presentation and Q&A.
The discussion focused on the following methods to expedite the permitting process with regulatory agencies:
- Set realistic timeframes for permitting and plan accordingly
- Know the regulatory requirements and plan/propose a project that meets them
- Whenever possible, do a constraints analysis for your project – FIRST!!
- Set up a pre-application meeting with the applicable regulatory agencies
- Submit complete applications and include all supplemental information the agencies will need to authorize the project
- Communicate often and offer support through the permitting process
A copy of the presentation, including additional resources discussed during the presentation, is available for download below.
For information regarding regulatory-related trainings for you or your team, contact us! Potential training topics include:
- Arid West Wetland Delineation and/or OHWM Manual Protocols
- Corps’ 2017 JD Report Standards
- Corps/EPA Mitigation Rule Requirements
- Corps Compensatory Mitigation SOPs (e.g., Mitigation Checklist, Uniform Performance Standards, Site Selection)